Disclaimer – This podcast is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Please contact a medical practitioner if you are concerned and have any medical issue.
During the life of this podcast, I’ve had a number of guests who have shared their postpartum journeys and how they have struggled to get help with postpartum depression, as well as professionals who specialise in help with postpartum depression and struggles. I’ve shared links to a number of these episodes below and you’ll find some excellent resources to help with postpartum depression as well as finding out about other mom’s journeys.
The transition into motherhood is a challenging time for many moms and there’s never a more important time to ensure you look after and nurture yourself. A common theme has been the lack of information available to moms to help with postpartum depression and their general health and wellbeing.
Many moms are often shunned by their family and families and told to stop complaining and just to get on with it when they seek help for postpartum depression and feel very alone. Not surprisingly, it’s hard for many moms seeking help with postpartum depression to be at their best and show up 100% for their little one and family.
In this week’s episode I’m sharing the ways in which baby massage can help with postpartum depression and anxiety.
You’ll hear me:-
- Explain how baby massage doesn’t just help your little one but it helps you as well. You get to deepen your bond and improve your confidence with them which is a big help with postpartum depression.
- Talk about why the many benefits of baby massage relating to areas including improving their sleep and the stimulation of their digestive, immune and other systems helps make life easier for you and better able to cope and help with postpartum depression challenges. You are going to be in a much better space to face the challenges of parenting when your little one is sleeping better and you are less sleep deprived.
- Share details and findings from two studies done in the United Kingdom and Norway which showed evidence that baby massage was a positive influence and help with postpartum depression for moms who were struggling with their transition to the world of motherhood.
And much more….
Links to the Two Studies Mentioned During the Episode
- Postnatal depression and mother and infant outcomes after infant massage – M. O’Higgins, I. St. James Roberts, V. Glover.
- Mothers’ experiences learning and performing infant massage – A qualitative study – Astrid Midtsund, Astrid Litland, Esther Hjälmhult
Previous First Time Mum’s Chat Episodes Relating to Postpartum Depression & Anxiety
During the episode I made mention of a number of guests who have shared their postpartum journeys and how they have struggled, as well as professionals who specialise in helping moms through their postpartum struggles.
Here are links to many of those episodes. The First Time Mum’s Chat podcast main page has an easy to use search facility to quickly and easily find episodes of interest.
- Episode 78 – Living With Postpartum Anxiety and Depression with Suzanne Yatim Aslam.
- Episode 28 – Let’s Discuss Postpartum Anxiety and Depression with Kaila Maguire.
- Episode 89 – How to Help With Postpartum Depression and Baby Blues After Pregnancy with Allison Lieberman.
- Episode 110 – What is EFT Tapping and How Can It Help With the Blues Postpartum with Maria Yakimchuk
Check out my FREE baby massage introduction video. In this 17 minute presentation I’ll explain how baby massage can help soothe your baby and help you get some well needed rest.