Disclaimer – This podcast is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Please contact a medical practitioner if you are concerned and have any medical issue.
During the life of the First Time Mum’s Chat podcast, I’ve chatted with a number of midwives who’ve shared their expertise and offered many great childbirth education tips to my listeners. I’ve included links to these episodes towards the bottom of this episode’s web page.
This week I’m chatting with childbirth education aficionado and midwife, Beau Wilson about another angle of birthing, known as active birthing. I was particularly drawn to this topic due to my love of everything holistic and couldn’t wait to speak with Beau after hearing about the holistic childbirth education and support that she is able to provide to families. I really like how her childbirth education teachings and techniques help empower mums and their partners towards being independent so they are prepared for the birth process with plenty of confidence.
We also talked during our chat about homeopathy which is something that Beau found invaluable for helping with her baby and I’m sure you’ll find it as fascinating as I did and how it can treat so many things that wouldn’t be possible to do in conventional medicine.
It was interesting to also hear from Beau that the research shows that women who have a single midwife throughout their entire pregnancy, labor and birth have better outcomes as does their baby. However, public health systems often do nothing to support this, with women often seeing different midwives and other health professionals each and every visit. I’m deeply saddened by the lack of continuity that must result from this and at a time and event in a woman’s life where she’s likely to be at her most vulnerable and challenged to the maximum.
During our chat you’ll hear Beau talk about:-
- The process of active birthing, including its many benefits and the advantages of being active and upright and mobilizing the pelvis during the birth process. Beau equips her clients with the tools they need to manage pain and also teaches their birth partner to learn about the natural labor process so they can be there for them and support them 100% throughout the process.
- The many advantages of having a waterbirth for both mother and baby including how it can calm the baby and help the woman manage the pain following birth.
- How delayed umbilical cord clamping helps maximise the volume of blood in the baby’s body whilst lessening the likelihood of problems such as iron deficiencies.
- How homeopathy is safe for babies and can help mums empower themselves and have more control over their overall birth experience. This includes remedies to encourage the birth to turn into an ideal position for labor and birth.
And so much more ….
Links Mentioned in the Episode
Previous Interviews With Midwives
I’ve also spoken with midwives in the following First Time Mum’s Chat episodes:-
- Episode 53 – Ask the Midwife – Postpartum Questions Answered.
- Episode 2 – Ask the Midwife – Discussion on latching, feeding and more.
- Episode 63 – Trusting Your Intuition When It Comes to Pregnancy and Childbirth.
About Beau Wilson
Birth to Baby is founded by Beau; a mother, midwife and childbirth educator who facilitates practical and holistic active birth workshops in Perth, Western Australia.
Beau’s mission is to equip women and their birth partners with the knowledge and tools to feel empowered and in control of their birth experience.