Disclaimer – This podcast is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Please contact a medical practitioner if you are concerned and have any medical issue.
A quick heads up – we sometimes use affiliate links to products and services we think you’ll find useful. We may earn a small commission should you choose to buy through them, though at no extra cost to yourself.
Something that I’m regularly asked by mums when I’m teaching them how to massage their baby is whether I can give any recommendations on the best anti colic bottle they can use. With the wide range of anti colic bottle available, I decided to spend some time researching them and here are my findings.
What is an Anti Colic Bottle?
Before I get into the anti colic bottle types I looked at, I felt that an important starting point is to define how an anti colic bottle differs from a regular bottle. An anti colic bottle is designed to:-
- Reduce the air your little one swallows during feeds.
- Lessen the gas bubble buildup in their stomach.
- Slow down their intake of food.
Makers of Anti Colic Bottles
In this episode you’ll hear me talk about the following brands/models of anti colic bottle, to help you select the best anti colic bottle to suit your needs:-
- Tommee Tippee Anti Colic Bottle
- Playtex Baby Ventaire Anti Colic Bottle
- Philips Avent bottle
- MAM Easy Start Anti Colic Bottle
- Doctor Brown’s baby bottle
Tommee Tippee Anti-Colic Bottle
- Include a breast-like nipple featuring an easy latch nipple that is shaped like and feels like a breast for easy transition between breast and bottle.
- Use a three piece anti colic technology which draws air away from the milk or formula.
- Are naturally anti-colic featuring a Closer to Nature nipple which has an anti-colic valve which works by reducing excessive air flow for more comfortable feeding.
- Feature a wide neck.
- Are supplied with an inbuilt heat sensing straw that indicates to you if the milk is too hot by its colour.
Playtex VentAire Anti Colic Bottle
This anti colic bottle features a slanted, angled shape to encourage semi-upright feeding because you don’t feed your baby straight up and down. The built in tilt makes it more comfortable to grip when you’re feeding your baby.
This tilt may lead you to hold your baby at more of an angle otherwise known as the semi upright feeding position and some pediatricians believe that feeding at the angle is a really good idea because they claim it can help prevent ear infections.
The VentAire micro-channel vents keep air at the back of the bottle as baby drinks, ensuring almost no air mixes with the milk and gets into the baby’s tummy. This may prevent gas and fussiness.
This anti colic bottle may be a good fit if you’re transitioning between breastfeeding and bottle feeding because the nipple is designed to make latching easier for your baby.
Philips Avent Anti-Colic Baby Bottle
The Philips Avent range features a unique AirFree vent which is designed for less air ingestion, keeping the nipple full of milk even when held horizontally.
This anti colic bottle has few parts making it simple to clean and assemble. A lot of the pieces are interchangeable so it grows with you and your child.
Feeding can be done with or without the AirFree vent.
The nipple is designed not to collapse, ensuring a secure latch and uninterrupted feeding.
MAM Easy Start Anti-Colic Baby Bottle
The Mam Easy Start Anti Colic bottle has a Skinsoft nipple that is accepted by 94% of babies and a patented vented base that regulates pressure, ensuring babies do not get air in their tummy whilst feeding.
- Features a flat, soft nipple which is like mom’s breast when breastfeeding.
- The wide openings make it easy to clean, fill and assemble.
- This anti colic bottle self-sterilises in just minutes in the microwave in 3 easy steps for easy cleaning.
Dr. Brown’s Options Anti Colic Bottle
Dr. Brown’s is the #1 pediatrician recommended baby bottle in the USA and features a narrow nipple base, allowing your baby to engage the entire nipple, similar to with breastfeeding. It also has a consistent flow rate to support comfortable feeding.
- Their award-winning enhanced internal vent system channels the air through the vent and away from the milk.
- Comes in both narrow and wide neck versions as well as plastic and glass options.
- It also fits most breast pumps for breastfeeding.
- Internal vent system ensures that baby can feed at their own pace and keeps air out of milk.
- Easy to use and clean, especially with included cleaning brush.
This anti colic bottle can be used with or without the vent and the internal vent:-
- Has been clinically proven to reduce colic, spit-up, burping and gas.
- Can also help baby progress from breast to bottle.
- Better preserves nutrients in breastmilk and formula, and
- Aids in digestion for a better night’s sleep.
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE >>
Other First Time Mum’s Chat Podcast Episodes Relating to Colic